Saturday, October 4, 2014

At the Cinema: Gone Girl

 photo ScreenShot2014-10-04at112415AM_zpscf46ee8c.png

I've been looking forward to this movie for a long time, and it feels really great to say that I was not disappointed by it. The only thing that disappointed me was the lady next to me who would not shut up and the fact that I had to pee like half way through and had to hold it until the end. And this movie is over two and a half hours. I guess that basically makes me Amazing Rachel (buh dum dum tish).

I read the book by Gillian Flynn a while back so I knew what was going to happen, right down to the ending that you either hate or hate (amirite?), so my viewing experience was certainly different than someone who didn't know where it was headed. I kind of wonder what I would have thought of the ending if I hadn't read the book, because I think it was actually more believable on film? I dunno, maybe my annoyance has just dulled and I've accepted it and moved on. But I would love to hear how other readers of the book thought the ending played on film. The same? Better? Worse (if applicable)?

And now since I'm not really sure how to actually continue this review without spoiling anything, and I'm just going to list some highlights in vague terms that viewers/readers will understand without spoiling GG virgins:

the scene with the box cutter that made everyone in the audience v upset
Trent Reznor's score
the casting in general, Ben Affleck in particular
the use of cut-to-black scene editing
all the junk food
them fancy pencils
Tyler Perry?????
the fact that the most competent cop is female & rad

In short, this was a great movie and I liked it a lot and David Fincher is the best.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw it at the premier and you could just tell who hadn't read it judging by the gasped reactions to all the plot twists. As for the ending, I found it more believable on screen too, but I still hate it haha. The whole cinema was just dumbfounded I think after that ending, the room went so silent. Amazing adaption! (Also that box cutter scene is gonna give me nightmares for ages)

    Carina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like in the showing I was at people didn't hate the ending? Everyone seemed a but dumbstruck though, so I supposed I don't know what they thought once they came to, haha. Overall it really is just a lame ending...but much better on screen!

      Delete