Friday, February 22, 2013

Little Things, II

How I've been spending my week...

having tropical tea time 

 photo IMG_1284_zps185f4045.jpg

This tea is one of my favorites: mango ceylon. It's just the perfect blend of black tea and fruit for me. And the cookies are coconut chocolate chip, which I made with coconut oil instead of butter. The oil imparts a yummy hint of coconut flavor and makes them slightly healthier.

reading Flowers Rediscovered

 photo IMG_1325_zpsa9235ec8.jpg  photo IMG_1327_zpsd742fb89.jpg  photo IMG_1328_zpsaf196e99.jpg photo IMG_1331_zps98e14a37.jpg

I have kind of a bad habit of 'collecting' hobbies, and one of my newest interests is in flower arranging. I really love the look of a natural, almost wild looking arrangement, which is not something you can find in most shops. This book has some lovely photos that I find very inspiring. I hope to maybe start growing a few varieties myself, but mostly I'm looking forward to summer farmer's markets so I can start surrounding myself with flowers (however poorly arranged they might end up).

watching the Oscar nominated short films

 photo curfew_zpsdec5dfb1.jpg

I went and saw the Oscar nominated short films with my friend K, and like every year I'm always very impressed with them. They're just like short stories--brief snap shots of a character's life, in which they must make a change, however minutely it might be. My favorite was Curfew, about a suicidal man who finds something to live for when asked to care for his niece. I also really liked Death of a Shadow, though both K and I were confused by certain bits. (K is one of my very few friends left in the area by the way, and I just found out that he got a job in the Bay, so I'm very happy for him but also feeling more lonely now than ever...)

adding to my stamp collection

 photo IMG_1333_zpsd43f4c74.jpg

They're mostly bunnies, as you can see. ^.^ I need to figure out a good way to store them though, because they keep getting ink all over everything!

walking to the mail box

 photo IMG_1347_zps63989ece.jpg

This is the mail box across from my house. As you can see, I certainly live among the trees! Just one day after I took this a small snow storm hit, covering everything in white. I was feeling a bit under the weather, but I had to take advantage of the beautiful scenery and take a quiet stroll, camera in tow. When I get the film developed I'll share my snaps.

preparing for a book swap

 photo IMG_1351_zps845887d3.jpg

This is for a swap on swap-bot.com--my first book swap! As a newbie I haven't been able to sign up for one yet, so I'm very excited. I'm way ahead of myself though, because the swap doesn't start for a while. I was just excited to wrap it up all nicely with string and cute stamps.

What have you been up to?

5 comments:

  1. oh my goodness! i'm sure your stamp collection is to die for.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if you would check my reply to you on my post, but I wanted to thank you so much for your letter! It truly brightened my day. I couldn't believe you remembered my birthday as well! I cannot wait to send you a letter.

    I am so excited to have learnt about your new blog, dear. It is a dream! I am envious of your stamp collection and the book swap sounds like a wonderful idea.

    xx Carina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, lookie here! I found myself a new blog to follow...yay! And what a lovely blog it is! Love your stamp collection and the way you decorated the book swap parcel :) Ohh...and I love the tall trees behind your mailbox. What a peaceful view! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your blog comment without which I wouldn't have found your lovely blog! I'm a bit of a collector too when it comes to hobbies - we're a rare breed :) I have a tendency to get really intensely into something for about 3 months, buy all the associated tools and then drop it in favour of a new and probably more costly hobby several months later! Book swaps sound like lots of fun - though your wrapping is so beautiful I probably wouldn't want to tear it open :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Griffyndor wax seal?! HOW DO I GET ONEEEE!! That's amazingggg! I'm a big Potter fan too, and am lucky enough to have met the twins at an exhibition :)

    Your stamp collection is fabulousness to the max - what a fun collection! I don't really collect anything, though my stack of vintage sewing patterns is getting higher and higher even though I've only started sewing last year!

    Glad I've found your blog - so much visual goodness!

    Nora
    NoraFinds

    ReplyDelete